Office Phone: 614-279-9935

Search

History of St. Mary Magdalene School, Columbus, Ohio

In 1927 the decision to establishing St. Mary Magdalene Parish and School was made.

In September of 1929 the parish and school were dedicated with Fr. Raymond Bauschard as pastor. The school and church were in one building, at the corner of Parkside Rd. and Guernsey Ave. Franciscan sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from Joliet, Illinois came to staff the school.

The parish and school grew and in 1950 St. Raymond Hall was built to serve as a parish activity center, but was almost immediately converted into classrooms to facilitate the growing school population.

1953 saw the plans for the new church to be built on the adjoining land. The construction was completed in 1956 when the new church was dedicated.

In the mid 90's, St. Stephen the Martyr School and Notre Dame School closed and St. Mary Magdalene welcomed students from those communities.

Today, the church and school are a campus of 6 buildings; the church and rectory, St. Mary Magdalene Hall, the original school and church building, St, Raymond Hall, a modular classroom, Fr. Bauschard Hall, the former rectory housing our Pre-school, and Campbell Hall, former convent which serves an parish meeting center and houses our food pantry.

Catholic students from St. Mary Magdalene, Holy Family, St. Agnes, St. Aloysius, St. Ladislas, St. Patrick, and St. Stephen the Martyr Parishes attend our school. We also welcome non-Catholic students from the greater Westside neighborhoods.

St. Mary Magdalene Campus